Friday, January 17, 2014

747 SOC Restoration Part 12

Finish Line!
New shuttle decals!
 With the home made decal sheet completed, it was time to apply my handy-work.



Almost there...
After airbrushing a clear gloss coat of future floor wax. I settled down to spend some time applying all the decals. The long rows of windows were the most involved but not difficult as long as I took my time.


 Since the whole sheet is a decal, each individual graphic must be cut out and trimmed very close to the artwork. When finished, one last coat of clear gloss sealed everything against wear and tear.

I almost didn't want to give it back.



Final model a far cry from the beat up mess I originally received!

The results were quite satisfactory.
I was a bit apprehensive as to how the new model would be received since I had changed it so much, but I was quite relieved when I received the following e-mail from the owner after delivery by my buddy:

We would like to thank you so very much for the outstanding job you did repairing the Shuttle Transport model.  To some it is just a model, but to us it is a reminder of the important work the NASA community accomplished.  With the skill you used to repair it, I know you understand what I am trying to say.
So again thank you so very much for using your incredible skills in its repair.

FCE/EVA Program Operations

 I think I'm a bit overrated in the response, but I slept very well that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment