Saturday, September 14, 2013

747 SOC Restoration Part 6

With the white top half painted, it was a fairly straight forward step to mask the top off and paint the bottom half.
Masking for two-tone paint job.,



Like the white paint, I was able to find a suitable color from rattle cans I had on hand. In this case, grey Tamiya primer seemed to be a great match. So far two colors and no airbrush needed. Score one for lazyness!

Once allowed to dry a bit, I was a bit anxious to see how my masking came out.

Almost looks like an airplane.
To my delight, no paint seepage or noticeable defects. It was starting to look like a plane.
For personal encouragement, I popped the Shuttle back on top to bask in some sense of accomplishment.

Seeing the light at the end of the table
You may notice that I've also removed the decals from the Shuttle. Fortunately those came off without needing any sanding. I forgot to take a picture, but the Shuttle's decals were very yellowed. No clear-coat was on the original, so some hot water and careful rubbing made the decals fairly easy to remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment